Police: Knife-wielding Palestinian girl attacks Israeli man, officers shoot her
Willie Grace | 12/1/2014, 5:15 p.m. | Updated on 12/1/2014, 5:15 p.m.
JERUSALEM (CNN) -- A Palestinian teenage girl with a knife assaulted an Israeli man Monday in the West Bank, adding another attack to a chain of ethnic violence.
At least 10 Israelis have died in attacks since October. A young Palestinian girl was also reportedly killed in ethnic violence.
Israeli security officers opened fire on the Palestinian teenager. She sustained "serious injuries," Israeli police spokeswoman Luba Samri said.
The girl was taken to a hospital. The stabbing victim was "lightly wounded" near the cluster of Jewish settlements of Gush Etzion, Israel Defense Forces said.
In recent weeks, Palestinian attackers killed and injured Israelis in gun, knife and car attacks. Israeli police have responded by shooting dead most of the alleged assailants.
Authorities said Monday they are investigating an incident involving a vehicle that struck an Israeli citizen at the Alon junction on the West Bank.
The 50-year-old man is in serious condition in Tel HaShomer Hospital in Tel Aviv.
A slew of attacks
Here is a look at a few recent acts of violence:
• Two Palestinian cousins stormed a Jerusalem synagogue in mid-November with a gun and butcher's knives, killing five. They were shot dead by police.
• Days later, Israeli authorities said they foiled a plot by Palestinians to assassinate Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman.
• More than a week earlier, attackers stabbed one Israeli soldier to death in Tel Aviv and three more Israelis near a West Bank settlement, the IDF said. One of the West Bank victims also died.
• In early November, a Palestinian man driving a van plowed into pedestrians at a train stop in eastern Jerusalem, killing two. Another 12 people were injured. The man died in police gunfire after also attacking people with a metal bar, police said.
• In October, a Palestinian man rammed his car into commuters waiting at a light rail stop in Jerusalem, killing a baby and wounding several other people, Israeli police said. The driver of the vehicle was shot as he tried to flee and later died.
• Also in October, according to a Palestinian state news report, an Israeli man killed a 5-year-old Palestinian girl when he ran her down in a car as she walked home from kindergarten. The attack reportedly also injured a second 5-year-old girl.
Tensions over the killings of Israeli teens and Palestinian boys marked the run-up to the military conflict in Gaza between Israel and Hamas this summer, which took dozens of Israeli lives and more than 2,100 Palestinian lives.
For more information go to http://www.cnn.com