Town Hall Meetings Scheduled to Address Storm Damage Recovery

Jo-Carolyn Goode | 6/3/2015, 12:58 p.m.
Mayor Parker and representatives from the Federal Emergency Management Agency and various City departments will be on hand to provide ...
Houston City Councilman Oliver Pennington

To the Residents of District G:

Two Town Hall Meetings Scheduled to Provide Flood Recovery Information

Mayor Parker and representatives from the Federal Emergency Management Agency and various City departments will be on hand to provide flood recovery information and answer questions about everything from filing a flood claim to debris collection and permitting.

Fondren Middle School

7 - 8:30 p.m., Wednesday, June 3, 2015

6333 S Braeswood Blvd, Houston, TX 77096


Key Middle School

7 - 8:30 p.m., Thursday, June 4, 2015

4000 Kelley St, Houston, TX 77026

In the coming days, with help from the City of Houston and the Texas Division of Emergency Management, FEMA will be announcing the location of a Disaster Recovery Center (DRC), which will be a one-stop shop for affected residents to connect with FEMA staff, as well as City and Non-Governmental agencies. In addition, mobile recovery centers will be established to help ensure that all affected Houstonians have equal access to the assistance they need.

What can you do now?

1) Contact your insurance company

If you haven't already done so, contact your insurance company (renters, homeowners and flood) and let them know about your level of damage. They may need to send an adjuster to document your damage.

2) Houston residents affected by the flood can register for assistance by:

visiting on

on their mobile device at

or by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) (TTY 1-800-462-7585) (Video Relay Service [VRS] 1-800-621-3362. These numbers will operate from 6am - 9pm Central time until further notice.

If you experienced structural flooding (water in your home) please report this to FEMA even if you do have flood insurance and do not anticipate needing assistance from FEMA.

If you need assistance in a language other than English, you may call FEMA and a translator will be put on the line to assist you.

When registering for assistance, you can expect to provide the following:

Social Security number

Address of the damaged home or apartment

Description of the damage

Information about insurance coverage

A current contact telephone number

An address where they can get mail

Proof of residency, such as a utility bill, rent receipts or mortgage payment record

Bank account and routing numbers if they want direct deposit of any financial assistance.

Once you register, a FEMA representative will call you to schedule a time for them to do a formal assessment of your damage. Make sure you provide a reliable, working telephone number when you register, as well as have all of your damage documentation available when FEMA representatives make their assessment.

3) Document your damage

Make sure you have photos, and or video, of the damage your home or business sustained so that FEMA representatives will be able to provide you with the best financial assistance possible.

What Can I Expect In the Coming Days?

In the coming days, FEMA will be announcing the location of the Disaster Recovery Center (DRC) as well as the dates, times and locations of town hall meetings to discuss any issues people may have with the FEMA recovery process.

Where can I get information?

Houston residents can visit for information and resources that will help them begin the process of recovery. This website will have information from government as well as trusted non-profit partners.

Residents can also register for CitizensNet at to receive information about disaster assistance available in their neighborhoods.

Keeping Yourself Safe

FEMA, State or City officials will never ask you for your social security number or bank account information in person or by phone (unless you have called FEMA to register for assistance). Never give out personal information to anyone who claims to represent the City, State or FEMA in person, over email, or over the phone.

Also, all FEMA and City disaster services are provided free of charge, so you should never be asked to pay anything to complete applications or receive assistance from the government.

If this email has reached you in error, or if you no longer wish to receive emails from me, simply click on the "SafeUnsubscribe" link below and you will automatically be removed from my mailing list.


Oliver Pennington

Houston City Council Member, District G

(832) 393-3007 (phone)

(832) 395-9571 (fax) (email) (website)