Theatre Under the Stars Presents A Christmas Story - The Musical Holiday Meets Hilarity In Classic Feel - Good Production
Jo-Carolyn Goode | 11/25/2015, 4:44 p.m.
HOUSTON (November 25, 2015) – Theatre Under The Stars (TUTS) welcomes the clever adaptation of the 1983 comedy classic A Christmas Story – The Musical to the stage from December 8 - 20, 2015 in Sarofim Hall at the Hobby Center for the Performing Arts. A beloved tradition, TUTS’ annual holiday main-stage production is one of the most highly anticipated shows of the season.
A funny, heartwarming adaptation of the cult-classic 1983 film, the show is a red-blooded, two-fisted all-American Christmas tale, following Ralphie (played by 12-year-old Houstonian Estus Stephens) on his journey to procure the only toy he wants this Christmas – the official Red Ryder BB model air rifle. Combining the humor of pink bunny suits, fishnet-clad fra-GEE-lay lamps with over-the-top tap numbers and on-stage snowfall, quirky innocence and nostalgic warmth mark this holiday classic.
TUTS will offer several special events in conjunction with the production for unforgettable holiday experiences:
· Thanksgiving Day Festivities (Thursday November 26th): TUTS performs live numbers from A Christmas Story in the 66th Annual HEB Thanksgiving Day Parade, starting from 9:00A in downtown Houston. At 5:00P, Humphreys School of Musical Theatre performs at the 30th Annual Uptown Houston Lighting
· METRO Rail Character Ride: Ralphie and his gang ride the rails in costume from 11:00A – 1:00P, Friday, December 4th
· Kids’ Night: TUTS presents a number of pre-show children’s activities in theme with A Christmas Story, on Wednesday, December 9th. Theatregoers are also encouraged to bring an (unwrapped) gift to benefit children as part of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Houston
· OUT@TUTS: Houston’s LGBT social theatre group hosts a cabaret-style evening at Artista, with complimentary bites, happy hour drink specials –mingle with cast members and other musical theatre enthusiasts on Thursday, December 10th
· Breakfast with Santa: On Saturday, December 12 and December 19 the Downtown Aquarium features a 9:00A breakfast buffet of scrumptious eats, as Scuba Santa spreads holiday cheer. Guests receive an Aquarium day pass featuring rides and attractions along with 10% off tickets to the 2:00P matinee performance of A Christmas Story. Saturday, December 12 and December 19
· “HOL-ALE-DAY” Experience at Karbach Brewery: On Thursday, December 17th, enjoy a couple of Houston’s finest craft beers (including the holiday exclusive Yule Shoot Your Eye Out Black Ale), light bites, A Christmas Story trivia, along with photo opportunities and two actual Red Ryder BB target shoots (yes, this is entirely safe and legal). Includes round-trip transport and tickets to the evening performance of A Christmas Story.
For more event information, visit TUTS.com/events. Tickets (from $37.75) are available online at TUTS.com; by phone at (713) 558-TUTS (8887), or (888) 558-3882 or in person at Theatre Under The Stars Box Office, (800 Bagby Street, Houston, TX 77002), Monday-Friday, 10:00A-6:00P; Saturday-Sunday from 11:00A-4:00P.
Special offers for groups of 10 or more are available at (713) 558-8888 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
TUTS' production of A Christmas Story is made possible by the generosity of Ballard Exploration Company, Inc.
TUTS’ 2015/16 season is generously sponsored by CHI St. Luke’s Health. For all shows, air transportation is provided by United Airlines, the official airline of TUTS. Media sponsors include ABC-13 and Houston Chronicle. Season support is funded in part by grants from the City of Houston through the Theater District Association, the National Endowment for the Arts, and the Texas Commission on the Arts.