Chevrolet's Top Tips for Transporting Your Holiday Tree
Style Magazine Newswire | 11/29/2017, 8:19 a.m.
DETROIT — The holiday season is upon us and for many that includes a fun-filled trip with family or friends to find the perfect holiday tree. But before your tree-hunting adventure begins, it’s important to be prepared. A recently published AAA survey estimates that in the past three years 20 million Americans did not properly secure their trees to their vehicles, which may lead to accidents on the road.
To help get your tree home safely, check out the following tips from Chevrolet engineers for transporting a tree in or on top of a vehicle:
- Dress warmly, wear gloves and bring a piece of cardboard to kneel on if you’re cutting your tree down.
- If you’re transporting the tree inside your vehicle, make sure to lay down a tarp to keep your car clean. If you’re transporting the tree on top of your vehicle, make sure you have cross-rails installed so you don’t damage the paint.
- Make sure the tree is tightly bound with netting or rope before tying it to the top of the vehicle.
- Place the stump end of the tree toward the front of the car to reduce aerodynamic drag and ensure a safe drive home.
- Lay your tree directly overtop the cross rails, loop twine over and around it and repeat to cinch it with a figure-eight motion to secure your tree tightly to the vehicle. This will help protect the tree from moving around while you drive.
- If possible, use secondary roads and avoid highways when driving with your tree on top of the vehicle for a safer ride home.
- BONUS TIP: Choose a car such as the 2018 Chevrolet Traverse with standard OnStar 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto compatibility and 120-volt power outlet so you can take the holiday party with you wherever you travel!