Texas Water Resort Closed, Tested for 'Brain-eating Amoeba' After Man's Death

CNN/Stylemagazine.com Newswire | 10/5/2018, 1:02 p.m.
After a 29-year-old man died from an infection with what's commonly known as brain-eating amoeba, health officials are investigating the ...

After a 29-year-old man died from an infection with what's commonly known as brain-eating amoeba, health officials are investigating the Texas surf resort he visited. CNN affiliate KVTV identified the man as Fabrizio Stabile of New Jersey, who visited a surf resort at Waco's BSR Cable Park before developing symptoms in September. The amoeba, Naegleria fowleri, can be found in warm bodies of fresh water such as lakes and hot springs. It infects people by entering the nose and making its way to the brain. There, it can cause a brain infection that the CDC calls "rare and devastating," known as primary amebic meningoencephalitis. It is almost always fatal, though ahandful of people have survived. A GoFundMe page launched by those close to Stabile says that he was mowing his lawn when a severe headache struck. It hadn't gone away by the following morning, and his symptoms progressed until he was unable to speak coherently or get out of bed. He was rushed to the hospital, where doctors found the amoeba in his spinal fluid.