It's the Final Countdown! Comicpalooza 2022 Comes to the GRB This Weekend
The pop-culture festival will launch into nonstop entertainment featuring captivating panels, special attractions, can’t miss celebrity guests, and more!
Style Magazine Newswire | 7/12/2022, 3:28 p.m.
With less than a week away, the countdown to Comicpalooza is officially on! The pop-culture spectacle makes its anticipated return to the George R. Brown Convention Center (GRB) this weekend Friday, July 15 – Sunday, July 17.
Festivities will kick-off with the Friday Night Launch featuring a neon-themed dance party dubbed CP Friday Bash, wrestling matches from Texas All-Star Wrestling, Mario Kart 64 tournaments, and more.
Saturday and Sunday fans will be immersed in the pop-culture festivities the moment they arrive with live entertainment and engaging activities including chainsaw ice sculpting by Houston-favorite Reverend Butter. Once indoors, they will be captivated with the vast show floor featuring new and returning special attractions, insightful panels and amazing art and pop culture finds. While on the second floor fans will be able to visit Cultural Arts Avenue and participate in K-pop performances all weekend long. Gaming will continue throughout the weekend on the third floor joined by celebrity panels, the Neon Realm experience, and other programming.
Notable highlights this year include:
- · A premier guest lineup, featuring leading actors Terry Crews, Christopher Eccleston, Kyle MacLachlan, Alice Cooper, Lance Reddick, Karen Fukuhara, Robert Patrick, Hale Appleman, Summer Bishil, Trevor Einhorn, Stella Maeve, Ben Browder, Joe Flanigan, Michael Shanks, as well as professional wrestler “Hangman” Adam Page, anime voice actors Zack Aguilar, David Matranga, Emily Neves, Justin Cook, Christopher Wehkamp, and Trina Nishimura, and comic book creators Hailey Brown, Jock, Rags Morales, and Stephanie Phillips.
- A bustling Exhibit Floor filled with diverse merchants offering an array of items giving shoppers the opportunity to wander and shop the aisles of unique finds, rare collectables, and other cool merchandise.
- A variety of Special Attractions including new this year, Robotica: A Robotics Experience which will host intense battle bot tournaments in the U.S. Navy Battle Zone, featuring robots as big as 250 pounds and as small as 150 grams. Returning bigger this year, the Itasha Showdown will display more amazing anime and pop-culture themed cars. Additionally, fans will have the opportunity to participate in mock trials at Fandom Court presented by Denuna Law Firm, where they can state their case to a jury on a wide variety of topics like which team would be victorious in a battle royale: The JLA from DC vs The Avengers from Marvel? But that’s not all! There are many special attractions throughout the weekend that are guaranteed to impress.
- Guests can swing by Cultural Arts Avenue on the second floor of the GRB to explore the Houston community’s history and culture with organizations such as 1940 Air Terminal Museum, The Printing Museum, Project Row Houses, Community Artists’ Collective, Houston Cinema Society, Houston Symphony, and Houston Climate Justice Museum and Cultural Center. Also on the second floor, K-pop performances and demonstrations by local group KLOVR will impress and inspire spectators.
- The Comicpalooza Cosplay Contest on Saturday, July 16 is a display unique, hand-crafted costumes and props based on favorite characters. While young aspiring cosplayers will be able to showcase their budding talents in the Kid’s Cosplay Contest Sunday, July 17.
- Live from the GRB, it’s Comicpalooza! Fans can experience witness interviews and lively shows in the Comicpalooza Podcast Program. The program hosts sessions throughout the weekend with educational panels, game shows, live podcasts covering various pop culture topics, and more!
- The Live Art Charity Auction will come alive Saturday evening, July 16 where fans will watch and bid on unique pieces of art being created during the event by visiting Comicpalooza artists. Funds raised by the silent auction will go to Fresh Arts, a charity that champions our local art community to succeed in the business of art.
This year’s sponsors include Eureka Heights, Night Light Pediatrics, Navy Talent Acquisition Group, Slrrrp Shots, Raising Cane’s, PaparazziVue Photo Booth Co., Denuma Law Firm, C4 Energy, U.S. Army, Texas Lottery, Walkabout VR Mini Golf and Samsung.
For the most up-to-date information including general details, special guests, admission prices, and schedules, visit www.comicpalooza.com.